Ralph Waldo Emerson said “Men are respectable only as they respect”.
To be respected, you should first respect others. Treat others, as you want them to treat you. Respect for others comes only when you also respect yourself. Calling a person by his/her name or Sir or Madam does not mean you respect or disrespect a person. Saying few words like ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ doesn’t mean that you are being respectful. Respect for others comes naturally from heart and in no circumstances be forced. Respecting others helps in building up relationships. Respect comes when you try to empathize with others, when you keep yourself in their shoes. Although respect is hard to earn, but once earned people makes the life well lived.
Tips on how to show respect to others:
- Be a good listener. We love people who listen to us and so assume the same for others. Though it is not always important to agree with what others say but at the same time it is very important to listen to them carefully and then give your reason for agreement or disagreement. You should show interest in what the other person is talking about. Not showing attention makes the other person feel that you are not taking him or her seriously.
- Make an eye contact. This is possibly the best way to show your interest while listening to others and showing them that you respect what they are saying.
- Understand the likes and dislikes of other people. Respect their choice. Don’t pressurize anyone to do something which he or she is not willing to do. When you give priority to someone’s right to choose, you show him or her respect.
- Never make fun of others on the basis of their background, appearance, religion, status and other similar issues. This shows disrespect for others.
- Preserve dignity. When wronged, mistreated, or otherwise upset in some way handle the dispute by approaching the person in such a way as to preserve their dignity. The best way to handle it is via a calm and private conversation.
- Keep your promise. By keeping your promise to someone, you not only establish yourself as a person of integrity, but make the other person feel that you value them.
- Put other person’s need before yours. This would show that you consider them before yourself.
- Give the other person time to speak. Interrupting the other person while he still hasn’t completed is the worst thing you can do to disrespect the other person. Let the other person complete before you start giving you views.
- Do not indulge yourself into mocking, teasing or backbiting others. Once you are out of all this, you will find yourself respecting everyone.
- Apologize for your mistake. When you apologize for a mistake, it conveys your sincere regret and the person will appreciate your sense of love and respect for him or her.
- Encourage others. Boost up the confidence of others by whatever means you can. This gesture will show your respect towards them.
There are dozens of other ways to show respect to others. However, the key to showing someone respect is to make them feel that they are valuable.
“Treat others as you want them to treat you because what goes around comes around”